There is nobody to take responsibility for the tragic collapse of Meethotamulla garbage ‘mountain.’ If we are to avoid another Meethotamulla in the future, we need to have a clear understanding of who is responsible, and ensure that he/she/it is held accountable.
The topic our first expert forum was accountability in solid waste disposal. It was held on June 02nd at the Hector Kobbekaduwa Agrarian Research and Training Institute (HARTI) auditorium on 114 Wijerama Road Colombo 7. The resource personnel we brought together at the forum were able to cover technology as well as policy aspects of solid waste management or public infrastructure management.
After reviewing the variety of current efforts to manage the waste generated within CMC area, it was decided that the full value chain of solid waste management in the CMC, from collection from homes to disposal, has to be tracked to identify accountability or other issues. LIRNEasia will do a preliminary study and the group will reconvene in 4-6 weeks.
Convener: Dr, Sujata Gamage, LIRNEasia
- Prof. Rohan Samarajiva, Chairman, LIRNEasia
- Engr. Badra Kamaldasa, Former Director General, Department of Irrigation
- Prof. Ben Sanayake, University of Peradeniya
- Mr. Avanthi Jayathilaka, Waste management professional
- Ms. Hemanthi Goonesekera, Federation of Sri Lankan Local Government Authorities
- Mr. Nishantha Preethiviraj, Communicaitons Director, Sarvodaya
- Mr. Chamindha Rajakaruna, Executive Director, Sarvodaya
- Eng. Yogarani Sylvester, Director, Solid Waste Division, Colombo
- Mr. Nalin Mannapperuma, Director, Western Province Waste Management Authority –
- Mr. Sudesh Nandasiri, Chairman, Recyclers’ Association
- Prof. Ajith de Zoysa, COSTI
Research Assistance: Mr. Sanjeewa Wijerathna